The ECE Department B.S./M.S. is a contiguous program for advanced, distinguished ECE undergraduates, leading to a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and a Master of Science (M.S.). Students admitted to the program have access to graduate-level ECE courses and opportunities to do graduate level research under the direct supervision of faculty before completing their bachelor’s degree.
Acceptance into this program is an honor which carries with it practical benefits, one of which is the simplification of the graduate application process (no GREs are required).
Admission for graduate study through the B.S./M.S. program is for the M.S. degree only. Undergraduate students wishing to be considered for the ECE Ph.D. degree must apply to the Ph.D. program directly.
- Junior class standing (specifically, 4 quarters from graduation) at the time the internal application is submitted
Exceptions will not be considered.
- 3.0 minimum major and overall GPA (3.4 major and overall GPA to be considered competitive)
This program is highly competitive. Meeting or exceeding the minimum GPA requirement does not guarantee admittance to the program.
|Year||Fall QTR||Winter QTR||Spring QTR||Summer|
APPLICATION (STEP 1):
See checklist below.
Application available first business day in April; application deadline is the last business day in May.
(last academic year of BS program)
|If schedule allows, take graduate level courses.||If schedule allows, take graduate level courses.||
If schedule allows, take
graduate level courses.
GRADUATE DIVISION APPLICATION (STEP 2):
See checklist below.
Application available May
|Students must complete their undergraduate degree by the end of summer to officially start the ECE Master’s Program in the fall.|
ECE MS Program
ECE Master’s Program
(deferral to a later quarter is
ECE INTERNAL APPLICATION (STEP 1): SPRING QUARTER OF JUNIOR YEAR
1. ECE Internal Application Form (This is a clickable link which will direct you to the application.)
Complete the ECE Internal Application Form.
2. Statement of Purpose
An applicant's statement of purpose is very important and helps provide a student "voice" in the application process. Please be concise and specific as possible in preparing your statement. Provide information that will aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your potential as a Master's student, particularly in relation to your goals, experience, and professional growth. Applicants are recommended to include information about internship/work or research/project experience. For guidelines on how to write a statement of purpose, please visit the UCSD Career Services Center. Two pages maximum, double spaced.
3. Letters of Recommendation: Required for applicants with a major and/or overall GPA below 3.4.
Letters of recommendation are not required for applicants with a major and/or overall GPA above 3.4.
4. Copy of Academic History and/or Degree Audit
5. Print entire application packet (#1-4, above) and submit to the ECE Undergraduate Affairs Office
(Jacobs Hall, Second Floor)
Application deadline: 11:30 am Thursday, May 31, 2018
Requests for deadline extension will not be considered.
GRADUATE DIVISION APPLICATION (STEP 2): SPRING QUARTER OF SENIOR YEAR
1. UCSD Graduate Division online graduate admissions application
B.S./M.S. students are to submit the UCSD Graduate Division online graduate admissions application at a specific time in the spring quarter of the senior year. (B.S./M.S. students should NOT complete the online admissions application for the regular ECE MS Program, due in December each year.)
Application instructions will be sent to all B.S./M.S. students in their senior year.
Students should complete the online graduate admissions application for the ECE M.S. major that most closely resembles their undergraduate curriculum, interests, and experience. (The CE M.S. major may only be selected by ECE CE undergraduates. Transferring to the CE MS major is not permitted.)
2. Non-refundable application fee
3. Submit by the application deadline.
ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS ONCE ADMITTED TO THE PROGRAM
Once admitted, students must:
- Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA in all courses (undergraduate and graduate)
- Be continually enrolled through spring quarter of their senior year
Students not satisfying the above requirements may be re-evaluated for continuation in the program.
Students in the B.S./M.S. program must complete the same requirements as those in the regular M.S. program. For more information, please see the ECE M.S. Degree Requirements webpage, specifically the degree planning form for each major. Discuss any questions with B.S/M.S. Advisor, Ira Zukanović.
Via petition, students may apply courses taken while an undergraduate to the M.S. Degree. Once officially admitted to the M.S. Program (after the undergraduate senior year), students may meet with B.S./M.S. Advisor, Ira Zukanović to discuss the petition process.
- No more than 24 units of coursework (with a grade of B- or better) completed while an undergraduate may be petitioned. No more than 12 of the 24 units may be undergraduate units (and all undergraduate units petitioned must be upperdivision).
- Courses may not apply to both the B.S. and the M.S. degree
Questions about the ECE B.S./M.S. Program, and the internal ECE application process (Step 1): please speak with an ECE Undergraduate Staff Advisor.
Questions about the Graduate Division online graduate admissions application (Step 2): please speak with B.S/M.S. Advisor, Ira Zukanović.
Questions about ECE M.S. degree requirements: please speak with B.S/M.S. Advisor, Ira Zukanović.