The waiver exams are designed for incoming students who have taken a C programming or circuits course at a community college and wish to receive transfer credit for UCSD ECE 15 or ECE 35.
- Students who did not pass or received a W in ECE 15 or ECE 35 at UCSD are not eligible to take the exam.
- Students are allowed only one chance to take the exams.
- The exams are offered only ONCE A YEAR before fall courses start, are OPTIONAL and there is NO FEE to take them.
- Students from California community colleges or 2 year universities/colleges, cannot submit a petition to get course equivalency for C programming or Circuits courses they completed at the community college or 2 year university/college. ECE 15 and ECE 35 must be taken at UCSD or waived by passing the exam(s).
- Students who completed a C programming or circuits course at an accredited 4-year university should submit a petition to get course equivalency to the ECE Department.
ECE 15 Waiver Exam:
LOCATION: Jacobs Hall 2315
If you are unable to answer or solve these questions, please take ECE 15.
ECE 35 Waiver Exam:
The exam will be closed-book, with only pen or pencil and a calculator allowed. No scratch paper allowed.
If you are unable to answer or solve these questions, please take ECE 35.
UCSD Catalog Course Descriptions
ECE 15. Engineering Computation (4)
Students learn the C programming language with an emphasis on high-performance numerical computation. The commonality across programming languages of control structures, data structures, and I/O is also covered. Techniques for using MATLAB to graph the results of C computations are developed. Prerequisites: a familiarity with basic mathematics such as trigonometry functions and graphing is expected but this course assumes no prior programming knowledge.
ECE 35. Introduction to Analog Design (4)
Fundamental circuit theory concepts, Kirchoff's voltage and current laws, Thevenin's and Norton's theorems, loop and node analysis, time-varying signals, transient first order circuits, steady-state sinusoidal response. (Course material and/or program fees may apply.) Prerequisites: Math. 20A–B and PHYS 2A; Math. 20C and Physics 2B must be taken concurrently.
STUDENTS WHO PASS THE EXAM(S):
must contact the ECE Undergraduate Advisors through the VAC(Virtual Advising Center) to enroll in courses that require ECE 15 or 35. Webreg will not recognize that students have passed a waiver exam. ECE 30 requires ECE 15. ECE 45 and 65 require ECE 35.
will not receive a grade or units. The community college transfer course will also not be approximated or given equivalency to ECE 35.
- will have a note on their degree audits indicating that the courses were waived.