Application Requirements and Procedures
- B.S. and/or M.S. degree in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent).
- GRE General Test. Minimum score is not required.
All International applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language.
Option 1: TOEFL with a minimum score of 550 (paper based test-PBT) or 80 (internet based test-iBT)
Option 2: IELTS with a minimum Band Score of 7
Option 3: Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with a minimum overall score of 65.
Option 4: Full-time enrollment for a minimum of 1 year in a university-level institution where English is the language of instruction and in a country in which English is a dominant language. Examples of countries with English as a dominant language: U.S.A., England, Australia, Guam, Jamaica, Ireland, parts of Canada, etc.
- Review the admission requirements (above).
- Review the department's programs.
- Review the application deadlines and timeline, and other useful information (links below).
- Electrical and Computer Engineering FAQs
- Office of Graduate Studies FAQs
- Useful Information for Prospective Applicants
- Application Procedures
2. Apply Online
- Create an application account.
- Upload all required documents to the online application.
- Complete and submit application; pay non-refundable application fee.
All application materials must be submitted online by the application deadline.
- Statement of Purpose (2500 word limit)
- Three Letters of Recommendation (online only)
- Scanned unofficial copies of transcripts from all higher education institutions attended
- Resume/CV (optional)
- Official GRE General Test Scores
- Demonstration of English proficiency (International applicants only; see "Requirements" section above)
- San Diego Fellowship form and statement (optional, if applicable and eligible)
Please do not mail any of the above items or additional materials to UCSD. All materials must be completed exclusively online using the online application system.
- Applicants may check the status of their application online.
- A completed online application will have the status "Submitted". After submission, the status of all applications will also be "Under Review". This does not mean the individual application is actively being reviewed; it means the Faculty Admissions Committee have access to review the application.
- Please do not contact the ECE office to obtain the status of your application.
- The ECE faculty admissions committee endeavors to make all application decision by TBD.
- Each applicant will receive an email notification of the Faculty Admission Committee's admission decision.
Should you have questions that are not answered on this website, you should direct them exclusively to: email@example.com