Date: Nov 9, 2017
Location: Corning, NY, US, 14830
Req #: 1037
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position:
In this senior level role, you will be responsible for creation and deployment of state of the art optical based systems including imaging and non-imaging technologies to support short term and medium term research activities. Participate in very early research stage projects and move concepts to development. Position includes optical modeling activities, experimental work, and collaborating with customer representatives. It will involve a broad array of optical disciplines and product segments including display technologies, metrology, diffraction optics, micro structures, projection systems, etc.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Through an understanding of client system level problem statements you will identify potential solutions as you collaborate with scientists and engineers, you will develop novel approaches to solve complex problems and make quick critical experiments to demonstrate feasibility. Additional responsibilities include:
- Generating concept packages for review with clients and technical teams.
- Interaction with project team members (mechanics, electronics, software, etc.) and assume the technical lead role in Optics.
- Working in a lab environment and will correlate critical experiments results with modeling results.
Travel Requirements: International and domestic <25%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Full-time w/flexibility
Someone who is practical, capable and passionate about learning quickly with an inventive nature is a necessity. Demonstrating a broad optical engineering understanding with a focus on lens design, free-space beam propagation (design), sequential and non-sequential ray tracing (modeling) is needed.
- Ph.D. in Optical Engineering, Physics, or related engineering degree with 3-6 years, MS with 8-10 years, or a BS with 15+ years of industrial experience designing and testing mechanical devices, systems, or products.
- There will be occasional international and domestic travel based on business needs. A reasonable estimate is 1-3 trips per quarter.
- Capable of developing and executing optical experiments with laboratory hardware
- Experience in optical design for displays (LCD, projection, etc.) and photonic components.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive of novel optical concepts.
- Data processing experience with MATLAB (or equivalent software) and a familiarity with LabVIEW software, and optical modeling software such as Zemax or LightTools.
- Optical packaging (laser/fiber/free-space optics).
- Well-developed social and communication skills with an ability to work independently and in high-performance teams in situations where problems are not well defined and working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.