Req #: 3243
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position: We are offering a unique job opportunity to conduct research in an exciting field of Science and Technology! This job provides a wide range of opportunities to invent and bring to realization new life-changing next-generation Communication technologies for the 5G Mobile Communication era and beyond. The successful candidate will work closely with teams of outstanding Research Scientists and Engineers located at our historical state-of-art research center in Corning, NY, as well as other global locations. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership for research projects and/or activities focusing on Antenna systems and RF propagation within the fields of optical and wireless communication systems. The candidate will guide efforts for building laboratory testing and evaluation capabilities for RF circuits and antenna systems. He/She will develop RF circuits and novel antenna design concepts for Corning’s future connectivity products. The candidate will play a leading role in the creation of relevant IP to protect key inventions related to novel networking solutions.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Propose, and lead research projects/activities involving RF circuits and antenna design and perform RF propagation investigations
- Conceive antenna designs and define antenna requirements for various future product concepts
- Design and perform antenna design validation experiments
- Work closely with other research scientists, engineers and technicians to execute multi-disciplinary experiments
- Collaborate on various materials and wireless system projects and execute technology transfer with various Development organizations in Corning, NY, and other Corning site.
Travel requirements: ~5 % travel - some international
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40 hours/week, with extended hours if needed.
- Strong background in communications theory, with emphasis on Antenna theory and multiple antenna technologies.
- At least 2+ years’ direct experience in antenna design for Wi-Fi and 4G mobile (LTE) or similar applications
- Previous direct experience working with commercial RF and antenna design and analysis tools and EM modeling and analysis tools such as ADS, HFSS, CST, MATLAB, CST Microwave Studio, FEKO, HFSS, Hobbies, or XPatch
- Experience analyzing and simulating RF propagation
- Possess strong understanding of radio wave propagation prediction and modeling, link budget analysis
- Hands-on laboratory experience
Education and Experience:
- MSc. or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Electronics or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years industrial experience with emphasis on antenna design, implementation, and testing for wireless system applications.
- Working knowledge of Material Science
- Previous experience in leading projects
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work with multiple teams
- Ability to work on multiple projects
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.