ECE Honors Program
The ECE Undergraduate Honors Program is intended to give eligible students the opportunity to work closely with faculty in a project, and to honor the top graduating undergraduate students.
Eligibility for Admission to the Honors Program
- Students with a minimum GPA of 3.5 in the major and 3.25 overall will be eligible to apply. Students may apply at the end of the winter quarter of their junior year and no later than the end of the second week of fall quarter of their senior year. No late applications will be accepted.
- Students must submit a project proposal (sponsored by an ECE faculty member) to the honors program committee at the time of application.
- The major GPA will include ALL lower division required for the major and all upper division required for the major that are completed at the time of application (a minimum of twenty-four units of upper-division course work).
Requirements for Award of Honors
- Completion of all ECE requirements with a minimum GPA of 3.5 in the major based on grades through winter quarter of the senior year.
- Formal participation (i.e., registration and attendance) in the ECE 290 graduate seminar program in the winter quarter of their senior year.
- Completion of an eight-unit approved honors project (ECE 193H: Honors Project) and submission of a written report by the first day of spring quarter of the senior year. This project must contain enough design to satisfy the ECE BS four-unit design requirement.
- The ECE honors committee will review each project final report and certify the projects that have been successfully completed at the honors level.
Procedure for Application to the Honors Program
Between the end of the winter quarter of their junior year and the second week of the fall quarter of their senior year, interested students must advise the department of their intention to participate by submitting a proposal for the honors project sponsored by an ECE faculty member. Admission to the honors program will be formally approved by the ECE honors committee based on GPA and the proposal.
Except for the two-unit graduate seminar, this honors program does not increase a participant’s total unit requirements. The honors project will satisfy the departmental design requirement and students may use four units of their honors project course as a technical elective.