FAQ - International Applicants

Must I send a financial statement with my application?

No. International applicants are only required to complete a financial statement once admitted. This form is normally made available to international applicants after acceptance of an offer of admission from UCSD.

What is the UCSD institution and ECE department codes for the TOEFL? If I demonstrate English proficiency via the IELTS, what address may I use to submit my results?

The TOEFL Institution Code is 4836. You may add ECE's TOEFL Department Code 66, but it is not required. 

Since IELTS scores are not currently able to be submitted electronically, you may have them mailed to: Graduate Admissions, Mail Code 0003, UC San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0003.

Do I need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score report?

Please see the "Test Scores" section above.

What is the minimum TOEFL / IELTS test score required by ECE?

Please see our Deadline, Requirements, and Procedures webpage for minimum score requirements.

I have been studying in the US for a year, do I still have to submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score report?

As long as you've been enrolled full-time for a minimum of one year in an academic degree at a university in the U.S., you are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score.

Do you accept TOEFL scores from a test taken two years ago?

As long as ETS sends your official TOEFL test score to ECE before the application deadline, it will be deemed valid.

I have sent my official scores to the university and my application still shows "Not Received." Have you received my official scores?

It will take a little while for your official scores to be matched to your application. As long as you have self-reported your test scores in your application, our admissions committee will be able to evaluate it. Your official scores will later be double-checked against what you self-reported.

I have a Green Card; am I considered an international student?

If you have a valid Green Card, you will be considered a Permanent Resident of the US by the University. You will not be considered an international applicant.