Capped Major Status

Effective Fall quarter 2015, all engineering majors are considered capped and any student wishing to change into ECE will need to complete the screening courses. 

The ECE Department may grant admission to UCSD undergraduate students who were not admitted to the department as entering students. Admission will be considered for students who have completed the screening courses below demonstrating special aptitude for the ECE curriculum. In order to be considered, you must take the following steps:

1. Take the ECE screening courses. Students who want to switch or declare one of the ECE majors must complete the following screening courses before they can apply through the My JSOE Major Change Application

Screening Courses:

Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Electrical Engineering & Society Majors:

  • MATH 20A, 20B, 20C
  • PHYS 2A, 2B
  • ECE 35, 45

Computer Engineering

  • MATH 20A, 20B, 20C
  • PHYS 2A, 2B
  • ECE 35, 45
  • CSE 8A/8B or CSE 11 (If you've had previous programing experience)

2. Apply using the My JSOE Major Change Application.

  • Students may apply in any quarter after they have completed the courses above, but should take into consideration time to graduation. 
  • You may apply the quarter in which you are completing the eligibility course requirements (see above "Screening Courses"). However, your application will not be considered until grades for all criteria grades are posted on Tritonlink.
  • ECE will rank applicants according to grades received in the UC San Diego courses from the screening list. All courses will be weighed equally. Applicants will be chosen from this ranking until all open slots in the major are filled. 

Effective fall 2016, current Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics and EE & Society majors can switch to another major within the ECE Department EXCEPT Computer Engineering by using the Major/Minor Tool on Tritonlink. Continuing students who want to switch to the Computer Engineering major in the ECE Department must complete screening courses and apply through the MyJSOE major change application.


Please contact the ECE Undergraduate Advisors through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC).