BS/MS Frequently Asked Questions Page

Where can I find my major and overall GPA?

You may find both your overall GPA and major GPA on your Degree Audit.   For the Major GPA,  you may find it under the "Upper Division Major GPA" section.

If I don’t have my Upper Division Major GPA yet,  what should I put in my Major GPA section on the application?

You may put “N/A” on the application for now.  We will check your Degree Audit again when we review your application. 

Should I submit Letters of Recommendation if my GPA might drop below 3.4 at the end of the quarter? 

Letters of recommendation are not required for applicants with a major OR overall GPA above 3.4.  If you currently have an above 3.4 GPA but you are concerned that your GPA might drop below 3.4 at the end of the quarter,  you may still submit your Letters of Recommendation now along with your application.  

Can I change my major after being admitted to the BS/MS program?

You may submit a request to change your major up to STEP 2 of the application.

How do I enroll in graduate-level classes as an undergraduate student? 

BS/MS admitted students may enroll in graduate courses before starting their MS program.  Since you are not officially a graduate student,  you will need to submit an EASy request on TritonLink and receive departmental approval. Please denote that you are a BS/MS admitted student in the comments section when submitting your EASy request. 

I am in my last quarter of my BS program. Open enrollment begins for the next quarter,  which will be my first MS quarter.  Can I enroll in classes now on WebReg?    

If you are graduating from your BS program and will begin your MS program the following quarter, please do NOT enroll or waitlist in classes during the enrollment period until your graduate record is created. Please wait until your graduate record to be created before enrolling or waitlisting any classes on WebReg otherwise your undergraduate degree will not be conferred by the Registrar's Office.  Please check our Admitted Students page for more details.  

When can I transfer my coursework to my MS program?  

We suggest that you transfer your courses at the start of the MS program so that there are no delays with your graduation paperwork.  Please see the Transfer Coursework From BS to MS tab under “Helpful Information to Start Planning the MS Program” for more information. 

If I can complete my undergraduate program earlier than I expected, or if I need extra quarter(s) to complete my undergraduate degree, can I change my MS program starting quarter? 

Yes,  we understand that plans may change.  Please notify us as soon as possible.  You will need to email us at least one quarter before your undergraduate program completion quarter.  We will adjust your MS program starting quarter accordingly.  

After I am admitted to the BS/MS program, can I take a gap quarter between my BS and MS program? 

Since the BS/MS program is a contiguous program, we do not allow any breaks between your BS and MS.  Admitted students are required to start their MS in the following quarter after they graduate from their BS.  If you would like to take a gap quarter in between both programs, please apply through the general MS admissions cycle.

If I get admitted to the BS/MS program, do I have to go to this program or can I still apply for other MS programs in other departments or universities? 

Yes,  you are welcome to apply for other MS programs in other departments or universities. 

Can I apply to both the PhD program and the BS/MS program?

Yes, you may apply to both.  To apply for the PhD program, you will need to apply through our general admission cycles.  Alternatively,  once you are in the BS/MS program,  you would be eligible to transfer to the PhD program upon meeting the MS degree requirements. Please visit MS to PhD Transfer Guidelines for more information. 

What is a good academic standing for the graduate level? 

Good academic standing is determined by meeting departmental and graduate studies standards; a GPA of 3.0 or above, in upper-division, graduate and professional course work; satisfactory spring evaluation; and having no more than a total of eight units of "F" and/or "U" grades. 

Can I choose the P/NP grading option for my graduate level courses?  What are the differences between P/NP vs. S/U? 

Yes you can.  Please note that the P/NP grading option is for undergraduate students; S/U grading option is for graduate students, so you won’t be using the S/U grading option until you are officially in the MS program.  P is the equivalent of C- or higher, and S is the equivalent of B- or higher.  Please read the UCSD Grading System page and About Grades on Tritonlink for more information

However, if you plan on transferring your graduate level courses to your MS program,  courses must be taken for a letter grade and earn a B- or better.  And these courses cannot be counted towards your undergraduate degree.  For more information about transferring courses,  please visit our “Admitted Students” page,  under the “Earning the MS Degree - What to Expect” tab. 

If my current BS/MS application is declined,  can I apply again for the next application cycle?  

Yes,  you may apply again for the next application cycle. 

If I have a double major and one of them is ECE, can I still apply?  

Yes, as long as you meet all the minimum requirements listed on our BS/MS Admissions page